Are you a Beetroot lover? And are interesting to know its benefits and how can it be a superfood for health. No doubt that You’ll love to know its benefits are many. Now, let’s talk about our favorite superfood “Beetroot”. This article will help you a lot.
Beetroot is one of the numerous Beta Vulgaris plants of the Amaranthaceous family. It was initially developed by Romans very much like most vegetables that we eat today. There are numerous assortments of this plant and some of them are known as sugar beet which is utilized to create table sugar.
However, the most popular variety is garden beet or simply beetroot which is used as a vegetable or salad. This simple root plant is full of medicinal properties and health benefits that a majority of users are unaware of. Let’s take a look at some of the amazing beetroot health benefits along with some other Beetroot nutrition facts.
Some Beetroot Health Facts
The plant or the leafy stem of beetroot grows to a maximum height of 1-2 meters. The leaves are heart-shaped and almost 5-20 cm long in many varieties. The root itself is a deep red purple.
There are other varieties in different colors like white and yellow. White beetroot is used for producing sugar whereas red beet is used for vegetables. There is another variety known as leaf beat orchard which has a long history of being used as a medicinal plant.
This variety is still used and cooked liked spinach in various parts of the world. However, due to the introduction of spinach, its popularity has declined.
Beetroot Nutrition Facts
It is a low-calorie food with almost zero cholesterol and a very small amount of fat. It contains a phytochemical compound known as glycine betaine which works wonders for overall cardiovascular health. Beetroot is a rich source of B Complex Vitamins, folate, and minerals such as iron, magnesium, and potassium that are essential for many body functions.
Beetroot Health Benefits
- Its rich fiber content improves digestion and relieves constipation
- It lowers glucose levels and helps in diabetes management
- Beetroot is a natural blood pressure-lowering food. It does something amazing in diminishing pulse and further developing by and large heart wellbeing.
- Beetroot contains Choline helps in fat assimilation and diminishes constant irritation
- It improves muscle oxygenation that results in better athletic performance
- By Romans, beetroot was considered to be an aphrodisiac. By improving blood circulation in the genitals, beetroot improves sex drive and performance.
Usage of Beetroot
- Beetroot is an important ingredient of Asian and Indian food. Used in different ways, beetroot is a common vegetable in this part of the world.
- It is used as salad.
- Beetroot juice is highly recommended for hypertension patients.
- It is used as a food coloring agent.
- Agricultural surplus of sugar beet is used to produce biobutanol fuel in the UK. Approximately 6.22 kg of sugar beet is used to produce 1 kg of this fuel.
Beetroot Side Effects
Though there are no side effects of this natural herb, excess consumption may result in pink color urine or stool which is completely harmless. Also, beet greens and also the root contains oxalate which may be harmful to those who have been diagnosed with oxalate-containing kidney stones. It should be a part of the diet not a substitute for a meal either in the form of salad or vegetables.